Full Show Index
Advertise With Us
Write For Us
Big Brother 3: Did the Best Player Win?by Sting7 -- 09/26/2002
View Printable version of this article
The Ghost of Will Kirby was not properly exorcised from the Big Brother house. And he came back to cost Danielle Reyes $500,000. Or, maybe it wasn’t The Will Factor, as the houseguests claim; they wanted someone nice to win this year. Maybe it’s as simple as Big Brother 3 having featured a house full of hypocrites.
I watched the finale last night with the feeling that the best player would not win. Danielle was the best player. When it was all said and done, I got the distinct feeling that CBS, or at least Julie Chen (boffo job this season!), felt the same way. Some of the questions Chen asked seem to call the evicted houseguests on their hypocrisy. I’ve listed the hypocrites in no particular order:
1. Roddy, who still can't seem to find any fault in his play, DID say that he used charm and charisma to his advantage. Is that HONEST? No, it's manipulative. No worse than anything Danielle did. And let's not get into "Chiara and I are just friends" bullshit. I saw the live feeds. I heard them talking. They were more than friends. Or his seduction of Marcellas to form an alliance when all of his playmates were gone. And, as upset as he was that Danielle referred to him as the Devil (it was praise -- she’s saying you were too big of a threat to her plan!), it’s making you a star.
2. Marcellas, who I just want to choke, doesn't understand that he is the fulcrum that turned the game. He did not use the Golden Veto and he wants to proclaim himself a victim of Dani's schemes, when he did it to himself. He was SO SURE that he would beat Amy, he didn't even bother packing. Julie was right on with her question of, "Did arrogance cost you the game?” Yes! Since Marc was seduced by Roddy in the wet boxers and blabbed all he knew about Dani's plan to get rid of Roddy (yes, Marcellas, you DID make a deal with Roddy: "I'm in!" You can furrow your brow and say you don't recall til the cows come home), he was no longer trustworthy and he had to go. If he used the veto, Marc would have stayed for the final three and Lisa would be gone because of her early allegiance to The Six. If I hear him talk about how he played the game with "dignity and integrity" one more time, I will snap. He turned his back on Gerry, the man who saved him from being evictee #1, he humiliated Amy on national television, he talked behind the backs of anyone who dared have a conversation with him, he insulted everyone’s fashion sense (only he can dress properly)... if that’s integrity and dignity, you can have it.
3. Josh really boiled me. Could it be any more obvious that peer-pressure guided his vote? He said in EVERY VIDEO package that he respected the way Danielle played the game, she was the better player, etc. And then he voted for Lisa. Why? My bet is Roddy talked him into it, with Chiara singing back-up as usual. Roddy and Chiara orchestrated his exit! I never knew Josh was that needy.
4. Lori, she caved too. She had no reason to vote for Lisa. Lisa put her up for eviction! What did Dani do to her, for her to have an axe to grind? The fight about Gerry and the hand-washing? She seemed past that. In EVERY segment, Lori praised Dani's strategy, how honest Dani was in the diary room, she was looking at Dani with what appeared to ADMIRATION. Yet, she voted for Lisa. That makes sense. For all the blather we heard about how she speaks her mind, she doesn’t seem to stick to her guns.
5. Amy, apparently still soaked, can't figure out that Dani was what made her second stay in the house so much longer. I can't even follow what Amy’s train of thought could have been because she appears to be without one. I can only guess that a) she saw the clips of Dani imitating her while she was sailing with Jason and was offended or 2) she was so thrilled to be in the good graces of Chiara that she followed the pack -- more peer pressure.
The others were just as bad. They worked personal agendas and that is not what the vote was supposed to be about:
Chiara's vote was "sorry I double crossed you." The look on Lisa’s face when she said, "I guess I can be friends with you," could be described as disgust.
Eric's vote was "wait til I get you home!" I can excuse this one.
Tonya's vote was "you were less mean to me." It’s true, Danielle and Marcellas dragged her through the mud, but she forgave Marcellas (who was far more wicked in his judgments of Tonya than Danielle), and couldn’t forgive Danielle?
Gerry's vote was "I can't justify lying to win to the kids I teach." Maybe. But, can you justify your inability to utilize proper personal hygiene? Can you justify calling the rest of house racist and homophobic to pull Marcellas off the block when there was not a lick of evidence to support your accusations?
For the record, Jason is the most wonderful guy in the world, and I hope he has a suit of armor to protect him from all of the women who will hurling panties, bras, phone numbers, scented notes, hankies, and anything else with heft enough to toss!
The houseguests missed the important things Danielle did. They ignored how she avoided winning HoH to keep from breaking her deal with Roddy. (What a gamble!) They ignored the fact that she told the absolute truth in those Diary Room sessions. She wasn’t trying to hide anything! She knew they would be watching. They missed that she did not lie about the things that truly mattered. She swore her allegiance to Jason. She NEVER wavered from that, to the point that she knew she could not beat him, she still wanted him in the final two. I think that is honorable!
The better player didn't win. Lisa did not slide under the radar – she did play the game. And she played smart. But, Dani did what she had to do. No one came to her for an alliance when folks were choosing sides. She would have been gone week three if she did not make a plan with Jason. How can they fault her for surviving? What did Dani do that was any worse than Tina Wesson? Dani's scheming was on-camera, Tina's was not. Is that the difference?
This ending bugs me.
Be sure to sign up for our e-mail update so you can stay informed about new articles on the site! And take a look at the rest of the site. You can find all of our BB3 articles at the Big Brother 3 page and take a look at our sections on Mole 2 and The Osbournes. You can even buy reality show stuff at our Reality TV Store!
View Printable version of this article