Full Show Index
Advertise With Us
Write For Us
America's Next Top Model - Phil's Top Twelve Top Modelsby Phil Kural -- 05/30/2005
View Printable version of this article
Adrianne, Yoanna, Eva and Naima -- all four of these beautiful women captured the title of America's Next Top Model. Yes, they all deserved to win. However, that's not saying that some of the other girls didn't deserve to win in their own way too. I'm here to take a look at my list for the top 12 girls from the show's history. Now, let me be the first to admit that this was a very hard thing to do. Only being able to choose 12 out of almost 50 girls was a pretty tough task, but I think I did all right. I didn't just base my decision on photos, either. It was a collection of photos, how I felt they did in challenges, not to mention how relatable they were, and what their personality was like. In ascending order, this is how my list goes:
12. Amanda, Season 3 -- Legally blind or not, Amanda knew how to work that camera. Traditionally, the woman marked as "the mom" would be someone that is going home early. Amanda defied those odds and stuck around all the way to the final three. Personally, I still think she took better shots than Eva, but didn't have the personality that Eva had. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Amanda had a personality, but in a way, and I'm not sure how to put this, I think she was a little too mature for this show. I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Amanda since the show has ended. She had amazing features and her eyes were perfect, looking almost like ice. She's definitely an all time favorite of mine.
11. Jenascia, Season 2 -- Oh, who could ever forget Jenascia? I think on my list, she is probably the girl that was eliminated the earliest, but she left a lasting impression in my mind. The judges complained that she was too short, but then I pose the question: If she is too short, you had to have noticed that ahead of time, so why did you pick her as a finalist? Indeed, Jenascia was a little shorter compared to the other girls, but her photos were pretty good, and she was funny as hell. For the first part of season two, it's almost as if Jenascia had a part in narrating the episodes since they always showed her in the confessional making a comment. She added that kick of personality that was needed for season two, even though there were a ton of characters that season, and I'm glad to see someone that was eliminated rather early actually make my list. I wonder if she's still working at Hooters. If she is, point me in that direction!
10. Brittany, Season 4 -- Brittany was just personality by the bowlful! I pegged her as a girl to go far, but when she started being all kinds of crazy at the beginning of the season, I was starting to think she would go pretty quickly. Not so -- she figured out how to tone down the sexuality and produce some amazing photos, like the one over on the side there. Brittany was real, honest, and was herself -- she didn't play it fake like some girls did in prior seasons. I'm looking at you, Robin and Camille. Brittany was a party girl. She stated that, and then lived it. I'm glad she hung around for as long as she did. I still don't think I understand how Keenyah made it to the final three and Brittany didn't, but that's just something I have to live with. Someone better pick up Brittany for a TV show, since I already miss her crazy demeanor.
9. April, Season 2 -- I don't care what anyone says -- April is probably one of the best "posers" in the history of this show. The judges said she was too technical for their taste, but I think that's just April, and she demands perfection. There is nothing wrong with that. Shandi was a great addition to season two, but in my opinion, lacked the poise and focus that April had. I still think she should have been in the top three. I think the problem with April was that the judges didn't get enough personality from her. It was more like she was there to win a competition, more than she was there to be a model. I don’t think that's the case, and I think April's passion was more intense than the other girls, and the judges took that the wrong way. I still think she's better than Shandi and Yoanna!
8. Yaya, Season 3 -- I'll never forget MY Yaya. From the second I saw her profile picture I knew that she was going to be a favorite. Her smile was so inviting, and her intelligence could be seen from miles away. Yaya was the second "dancer" to make the show, and the judges griped that she could not break from that mold. She finally did, and landed in the final two for her season. I think Yaya had the determination to win, and I also think she had the focus, but what I think the judges didn't like about her was the way she held herself together, which, like April, could seem a little cold. I don't think that was the case though, and Yaya was very astute and always came across as just trying to be as professional as possible. She had a personality, and knew when to show it. I was crying when she lost, but I think MY Yaya did a great job to get to the final two, and I'd let her portfolio do the talking for her.
7. Elyse, Season 1 -- Oh, Elyse, I love her to death! Nobody had ever spoken so candidly on this show the way she has. If Elyse had something to say, she said it. Coupled with her gal-pal, Adrianne, Elyse managed to make it all the way to the final three by showing that she was ready to take on the task of whatever the judges were going to throw at her. Criticized by Robin because she didn't follow any religion, Elyse just made that push her even harder. In my opinion, she should have been in the final two. Shannon was just too "all around" for my taste, and Elyse would have added that edge that the first season lacked. She's still doing modeling, so that has to say something about her. It might have seemed like modeling wasn't her goal in the beginning, but Elyse pulled it together, came into her own, and was one hell of a finalist.1 2 Next-->
View Printable version of this article